I so easily get stuck in ruts, using the clothes in my closet at only 10 or 20% of their potential. But as I was reminded this last week, it only takes a tad of extra thought to realize a whole new wardrobe within your existing one!
I decided to grab a couple of my maxi dresses and crank out a handful of easy ways moms can style them on any given day of the week. My beautiful sister volunteered her DSLR camera and a couple hours of her time and we modeled 12 comfy ways to style a maxi dress! (I know we look like twins, but she’s actually a couple years older than me. I’m the one with the bun on my head, in case you can't tell.)
Maxi dresses are a must in a mom's closet! As I mention under the "mommy season notes" below, they work before, during, and after pregnancy. They can be styled in the summer with sandals or in the winter with boots. And they feel like pajamas. Sooo comfy. If you don't own a maxi dress yet, I recommend adding one to your list! See the end of the post for some links to my favorites online right now.
Body Curve Notes
No matter your shape, there's a maxi dress cut for you.
- Triangle/Pear shapes (wider hips) will be flattered by a maxi dress that has detail and/or extra weight on the top with a defined waist. (Example 1, Example 2)
- Inverted Triangle Apple shapes (wider top) are flattered by fuller skirts and skirts with patterns. (Example 1, Example 2)
- Column or hourglass shapes can try either the slimming/fitted style or full skirts.
Mommy season notes
If you’re nursing, the best kind of maxi dress will be one that is crossed in the front like the blue one in the picture, for easy access.
Some of the necklaces styled here might not work during the small baby stages. You can instead wear a baby-proof or silicone teething necklace. Here are some adorable ones by Consider it Maid on Amazon.
Don't be shy about buying maternity maxi dresses even when you're not pregnant. The black dress in the photos below is maternity from Old Navy and I wore it through my third trimester! Who would've guessed, right? On the flipside, non-maternity maxi dresses often work through the third trimester too! That's the case with the striped navy blue one below. Maxi dresses are just AWESOME for all seasons!
Where to buy
Maxi dresses and belts should be easy to find in consignment and thrift stores. If you rather shop online, you can also find them via online consignment such as ThredUp.com. Sign up through this link to get $10 off your first purchase.
In Stores: Old Navy, Target, Amazon, Forever 21
- Maxi Dress: Target (several colors)
- Maxi Dress- nursing friendly: Target, Target, Old Navy (maternity, but can be non-maternity as well)
- Denim Jacket (white): Target
- Denim Jacket (dark wash): Old Navy
- Statement necklace: Amazon
- Pendant necklace: Forever 21
- Chambray button-up: Target (exact)
Are maxi dresses convenient for your daily routine? What’s your favorite way to style a maxi dress? Share your insights with us below!