Today I’m sharing my maternity wardrobe for my September-due baby. I will be pregnant through the spring/summer so I’ve created a capsule wardrobe plan to meet the needs for the weather! I've also turned my capsule wardrobe list into a free printable checklist that you can use to create your own capsule!
My capsule-creating process
I began by pulling out the maternity clothes from storage that I used with my first pregnancy. Luckily, I was pregnant during the same seasons last time too so it will all still work this time around.
To make sure I’m getting a fresh look at the options and really loved everything going into the capsule, I created a pile of what I still loved and another pile of what I know I wouldn’t want to wear this time around (either not my style anymore or too worn out). Thankfully, the latter pile was small! I donated a few items and left a few in storage.
Then I went online to look at other ladies’ maternity capsule wardrobes and integrated my existing wardrobe with the ideas I found. I added a handful of items that I wanted to include this pregnancy (in italics), and that became my shopping list. I will be sharing my finds starting in May in my Budgets & Finds reports.
To make it easy to find my coordinating maternity items (items from my temporary capsule), I have sectioned off an area in my closet and one drawer in my dresser to house my capsule wardrobe items. I'm not even looking at my other clothes (for the most part). ;)
Tips for creating your own Maternity Capsule Wardrobe
- Make a list of the maternity and non-maternity clothes you already own that can go into your capsule wardrobe. List everything by category (see my categories below). This will give you a clear picture of what you're missing.
- Look below at my capsule wardrobe example or on Pinterest for other checklists to decide what you would like to add.
- Use the color palette that emerged from what you already have. Add a couple accent colors if you'd like in the items you'll add. Just make sure the colors coordinate so that everything is interchangeable in your small capsule.
- Create a "pregnancy" space in your closet and drawer or two in your dresser to house your capsule wardrobe items. This area and drawer will be your go-to each morning.
Start your own capsule by downloading the free clothing checklist.
My Complete Maternity Capsule Wardrobe Spring/Summer
* Items for which I am using a few regular non-maternity options are asterisked
Items on my shopping list are italicized. UPDATE, (June): All items found.
- 3 Neutral Tees
- 2 Accent Color Tees
- 2 Patterned Tees
- 4 Dressy Tops
- 2 Solid Colored Maxis *
- 1 Patterned Maxi *
- 3 Patterned or Solid Colored Day Dresses *
- 1 Skinny Jeans
- 1 Bootcut Jeans
- Accent Color Pant or Capri
- 1 White Pant
- 1 Denim Short
- 1 White Short
- 1 Accent Color or Patterned Short
- 1 Patterned Maxi
- 1 Solid Maxi *
- 1 Solid Knee-length
- 1 Patterned Knee-length
- 1 Dark Wash Denim Jacket *
- 1 White Denim Jacket *
- 1 Vest *
- 1 Leather Jacket *
- 2 Light Camis *
- 2 Dark Camis *
- 1-2 Accent Color Camis *
- 1 Pair Leggings *
- 1-2 Belts (for above the bump)
- 2 Pairs sandals
- 1-2 Pair flats
- 1 Pair sneakers/loafers
See pictures of my outfits! 68+ Outfit Pictures from the 9 Months
My Shopping List
Click on the links to see that month's report and get prices and pictures of my finds.
- White tee (FOUND 4/16- Exact)
- Patterned tee (FOUND 4/16- Coral striped tee)
- 1-2 Dressy tops (FOUND 4/16- 1 aqua and 1 white)
- 1 White Pant (FOUND 5/16- Distressed white jeans)
- 1 Denim short (FOUND 4/16- Denim bermuda short)
- 1 Vest (utility or denim) (FOUND 5/16- Crochet vest)
- Accent color or patterned short (FOUND 6/16- Coral Shorts)
Note: I usually recommend writing a much more detailed shopping list. But because affordable maternity options are so limited, I refrained from creating a list describing the colors, fabrics, and cuts I wanted. I am open to finding the best in what is available.
Bonus: Want a free shopping list printable that can be your ongoing go-to?
Sign up to get the maternity checklist and access to all my other printables, like this shopping list.
- For warmer climates, you may want to swap out the leather jacket for a shrug or cardigan.
- About half of the items on my list were fulfilled by non-maternity items. You can often use non-maternity for jackets, camis, leggings, skirts (with elastic waist), and many dresses.
Gallery of what I have so far:
I'll be sharing the outfits I create from this capsule using #mymatcapsule over on Instagram each day!
Outfit 1 from #mymatcapsule My favorite maternity top so far! Picked it up for $12.99 at Burlington Coat Factory. 🙃 Brand is "Oh! Mamma". #nowthaticando #iphone #momstyle #mommyfashion #ootd #lookoftheday #outfitoftheday #whatiworetoday #momuniform #instastyle #budgetfashion #momblogger #mommyblogger #ohheymama #momlifestyle #momboss #mompreneur #thatsdarling #darlingmovement #pursuepretty #pregnancy #preggers #prego #thebump #bumpstyle #pregnancyfashion #pregnantstyle #momtobe #babybelly
Shopping these looks: $5-$50
Free Maternity Capsule Checklist Printable (PDF)
I've created a checklist that you can print off using my capsule wardrobe above. Feel free to modify it as it meets your needs. You want to try to use as much of your current wardrobe as possible and simply add what's still needed. Remember that accessories, completer pieces (jackets/vests/cardigans), camis and many dresses may work through all three trimesters even if they are non-maternity. Half of my capsule is non-maternity!
If you're already a subscriber, you can download it here. Password is at the bottom of the last newsletter you received.